Cathy creates truthful, targeted branded film content for some of the planet’s leading providers.
Originally from Auckland, Cathy spent nearly a decade in the UK, winning Young Creative of the year in Europe for her first-ever writing and directing job. She went on to write and direct major promo campaigns for the BBC, Disney, MTV and Sky, developing branded content for global audiences and receiving extensive training in working with actors and talent at the BBC Academy. She’s been recognised by leading film festivals for her delicate touch with complex human stories, and by Promax and the New York Festivals for her brand campaigns. In 2011 she won the International Graduate Scholarship to do her Masters in Screenwriting from Central Saint Martins College London.
In 2015 she was selected from a global field of over 4000 directors by the Weinstein Company as a finalist in the Lexus Short Film Competition, and made the shortlist for the Lexus Australia Film Fellowship. In 2016 she was selected for the DEGNZ / NZFC Women Filmmakers Incubator.
Now based back in Auckland, Cathy is freelancing for both agencies and content creators, developing branded content. She is represented by Sunday Punch as a director.
I'm best known for...
- Winning Young Creative at Promax Europe
- Producing/directing Roger the Real Life Superhero, a short documentary selected at 12 international festivals, including 4 BAFTA and Academy Awards qualifiers.
- Selected for DEGNZ & NZFC Women Filmmakers Incubator 2016
Proposal and treatment development
Client relationship management
Working with actors and talent
Industries I know well
Content I've created includes:
Arts & Culture
Food & Beverage
Other creative fields
Writing and directing short films and branded content series.
Mediums I know well
Branded online content
Branded broadcast promotions and idents
Honours & awards
- Shortlist, Lexus Australia Film Fellowship
- Shortlist, The Weinstein Company & Lexus Short Film
- Script to Screen Short Film Lab
- Real Ideas Studio Microgrant recipient
- International Graduate Scholarship, Masters in Screenwriting,
- Central Saint Martins College London
- Mass Communication Scholarship Masters in Mass
Communication, Auckland University of Technology
- Best Documentary / Cannes in a Can Film Festival
- Best Director, Best Commercial (nominee) New York Festivals
- Gold - Best Young Creative, Promax Europe
- Gold - Best Campaign & Best Commercial, Promax World
- Gold - Best Image Spot, Promax Australasia
- Gold - Best Entertainment Promox, Promax NZ
- Gold - Best On Air Package, Promax NZ
- Silver - Best Commercial, Best Campaign, Promax World
- Silver - Channel Brand of the Year, Promax Australasia
- Silver - Best Children's Animation, Promax World
- Silver- Best Animation, Promax Australasia
- Bronze - Best Channel IDs, Promax World
- 1999 – 2001 / Bachelor of Communications, Major in Television Studies / New Zealand
- Screenwriters Foundation Workshop Raindance Academy London
- Directing Meisner Workshop Directors Guild Trust London
- Editorial Standards & Compliance Levels 1&2, BBC Academy
- Directing Actors, Levels 1&2 BBC Academy
- Acting for Humans Workshop with Brita McVeigh
- Chekov Acting with Elena Stejko
Life is tough. Lets make people laugh. If the work is fun to make, then it will be fun to watch.
"Never trust a creative who uses uncredited quotations.
It's well sketchy." - Anon